August 2016 LITERATURE REVIEW
Hatipoglu et al1 examined the potential damage of the lasers, which are used as an alternative to manual instruments in periodontal therapy may cause to restorative materials. The materials examined were a glass-ionomer cement , a flowable composite , a universal composite and an amalgam. The authors concluded that laser irradiation did not affect the surface roughness of any restorative materials relative except for the Er,Cr:YSGG treatment on GIC.
Amid and coworkers2 examined to human gingival fibroblast viability attachment to the root surface after modification with with curettes, piezoelectric ultrasonic scalers and lasers, such as Er,Cr:YSGG. They found that lasers showed significantly lower cell viability after 72 hours compared with hand instrumentation and ultrasound, probably due to more irregular root surfaces after treatment.
Ferreira et al3 evaluated the effect of low-level laser therapy on bone regeneration at the midpalatal suture after rapid maxillary expansion using cone beam computed tomography. They concluded that LLLT had a positive influence on bone regeneration of the midpalatal suture by accelerating the repair process.
De Vasconcellos and coworkers4 assessed the effects of low-level laser therapy (GaAlAs) on the bone repair process within titanium scaffolds in the femurs of healthy and osteoporotic rats and concluded that LLLT improves and accelerates bone repair within titanium scaffolds for both groups.
Eshghpour et al5 evaluated the effect of low-level laser therapy on decreasing pain and swelling after removal of impacted third molars. Their finding was that LLLT proved effective in decreasing the intensity of pain and swelling after removal of impacted third molars and can be recommended to alleviate patients’ symptoms after surgery.
Taniguchi and coworkers6 evaluated Er:YAG laser application for periodontal regenerative surgery in angular bone defects and concluded that mean intrabony defect depth decreased from 6.0 mm before surgery to 1.0 mm 12 months after surgery.
Neves et al7 conducted a study to assess the clinical effect of photodynamic therapy in the decontamination of the deep dentin of deciduous molars submitted to partial removal of carious tissue. They found that photodynamic therapy, using 0.01% methylene blue dye at a dosimetry of 120 J/cm2 would not be a viable clinical alternative to reduce bacterial contamination in deep dentin.
Pedreira and coworkers8 conducted a randomized, blind, controlled clinical study with a sample of 24 patients to evaluate the effectiveness of an aluminum gallium arsenide (AlGaAs) infrared laser 808 nm after third molar extraction by the use of infrared thermography technique. They concluded that laser therapy was able to change the local circulation, although it did not significantly influence swelling, pain or trismus during the postoperative period.
Sandhu et al9 carried out a network meta-analysis to synthesize the evidence of the comparative effectiveness for various interventions used for orthodontic pain relief during peak pain intensity and concluded that both analgesics and lasers are effective in the management of orthodontic pain at its peak intensity.
Mettraux and coworkers10 presented their results of a two-year clinical trial following non-surgical mechanical therapy of peri-implantitis with adjunctive diode laser application. They found that non-surgical mechanical therapy of peri-implantitis with adjunctive repeated application of a diode laser yielded significant clinical improvements.
Pol et al11 investigated the therapeutic efficacy of superpulsed, low-level laser therapy (SLLLT) on neurosensory recovery of the inferior alveolar nerve after oral surgical injury. Their results demonstrated that 83.3% of the patients had a significant neurosensory recovery, as was evident in both objective and subjective tests.
Garcia and coworkers12 evaluated the effectiveness low-level laser therapy on the repair of the mid palatal suture, after rapid maxillary expansion in a single-operator, randomized single-blind placebo-controlled study and found that LLLT appeared to stimulate the repair process during retention phase after rapid maxillary expansion.
Sanhadji El Haddar et al13 compared the microleakage of three adhesive systems when using Erbium-YAG laser and diamond bur cavity procedures and concluded that the Er:YAG laser is as efficient as diamond bur in adhesive restoration procedures.
1. Hatipoglu, Mukerrem; Barutcigil, Cagatay; Harorli, Osman Tolga; Ulug, Bulent. Effect of the lasers used in periodontal therapy on the surfaces of restorative materials. Scanning, 38 (3):227-33; 10.1002/sca.21264 2016-May.
2. Amid, Reza; Azizi, Elahe; Ardakani, Mohammad Reza Talebi; Ashnagar, Sajjad; Moiahedi, Seyed Masoud. Effects of Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Treatment on Human Gingival Fibroblast Attachment, Viability and Morphology of Root Surface: An In Vitro Study. Journal of the California Dental Association, 44 (5):291-6; 2016-May.
3. Ferreira, Fabiola Nogueira Holanda; Gondim, Juliana Oliveira; Neto, Jose Jeova Siebra Moreira; Dos Santos, Pedro Cesar Fernandes; de Freitas Pontes, Karina Matthes; Kurita, Lucio Mitsuo; de Araujo, Maria Walderez Andrade. Effects of low-level laser therapy on bone regeneration of the midpalatal suture after rapid maxillary expansion. Lasers in medical science, 31 (5):907-13; 10.1007/s10103-016-1933-8 2016-Jul.
4. de Vasconcellos, Luana Marotta Reis; Barbara, Mary Anne Moreira; da Silva Rovai, Emanuel; de Oliveira Franca, Mariana; Ebrahim, Zahra Fernandes; de Vasconcellos, Luis Gustavo Oliveira; Porto, Camila Deco; Cairo, Carlos Alberto Alves. Titanium scaffold osteogenesis in healthy and osteoporotic rats is improved by the use of low-level laser therapy (GaAlAs). Lasers in medical science, 31 (5):899-905; 10.1007/s10103-016-1930-y 2016-Jul.
5. Eshghpour, Majid; Ahrari, Farzaneh; Takallu, Mohammad. Is Low-Level Laser Therapy Effective in the Management of Pain and Swelling After Mandibular Third Molar Surgery? Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery : official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 74 (7):1322.e1-8; 10.1016/j.joms.2016.02.030 2016-Jul.
6. Taniguchi, Yoichi; Aoki, Akira; Sakai, Kazuto; Mizutani, Koji; Meinzer, Walter; Izumi, Yuichi. A Novel Surgical Procedure for Er:YAG Laser-Assisted Periodontal Regenerative Therapy: Case Series. The International journal of periodontics & restorative dentistry, 36 (4):507-15; 10.11607/prd.2515 2016 Jul-Aug.
7. Neves, Pierre Adriano Moreno; Lima, Leonardo Abrantes; Rodrigues, Fernanda Cristina Nogueira; Leitao, Tarcisio Jorge; Ribeiro, Cecilia Claudia Costa. Clinical effect of photodynamic therapy on primary carious dentin after partial caries removal. Brazilian oral research, 30 (1):10.1590/1807-3107BOR-2016.vol30.0047 2016-May-20.
8. Pedreira, Amanda A; Wanderley, Flavia G; Sa, Maira F; Viena, Camila S; Perez, Adriano; Hoshi, Ryuichi; Leite, Marcia P; Reis, Silvia R; Medrado, Alena P. Thermographic and clinical evaluation of 808-nm laser photobiomodulation effects after third molar extraction. Minerva stomatologica, 65 (4):213-22; 2016-Aug.
9. Sandhu, Satpal S; Cheema, Manraj S; Khehra, Harpreet S. Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions for orthodontic pain relief at peak pain intensity: A Bayesian network meta-analysis. American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics : official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics, 150 (1):13-32; 10.1016/j.ajodo.2015.12.025 2016-Jul.
10. Mettraux, Gerald R; Sculean, Anton; Burgin, Walter B; Salvi, Giovanni E. Two-year clinical outcomes following non-surgical mechanical therapy of peri-implantitis with adjunctive diode laser application. Clinical oral implants research, 27 (7):845-9; 10.1111/clr.12689 2016-Jul.
11. Pol, Renato; Gallesio, Giorgia; Riso, Massimo; Ruggiero, Tiziana; Scarano, Antonio; Mortellaro, Carmen; Mozzati, Marco. Effects of Superpulsed, Low-Level Laser Therapy on Neurosensory Recovery of the Inferior Alveolar Nerve. The Journal of craniofacial surgery, 27 (5):1215-9; 10.1097/SCS.0000000000002757 2016-Jul.
12. Garcia, Valentin Javier; Arnabat, J; Comesana, Rafael; Kasem, Khaled; Ustrell, Josep Maria; Pasetto, Stefano; Segura, Oscar Pozuelo; ManzanaresCespedes, Maria Cristina; Carvalho-Lobato, Patricia. Effect of low-level laser therapy after rapid maxillary expansion: a clinical investigation. Lasers in medical science, 31 (6):1185-94; 10.1007/s10103-016-1970-3 2016-Aug.
13. Sanhadji El Haddar, Youssef; Cetik, Sibel; Bahrami, Babak; Atash, Ramin. A Comparative Study of Microleakage on Dental Surfaces Bonded with Three Self-Etch Adhesive Systems Treated with the Er:YAG Laser and Bur. BioMed research international, 2016 2509757; 10.1155/2016/2509757 2016.